My Chronicle

Attainable goals are the ones for me. Encouraged by our dog Spot and family eaters, I purpose to cook once a week and make it new and delicious. If I cook more often, I get more weeks off later on.

Friday, June 1, 2018

My Version of a Terrine

It's not that I haven't been cooking, I just haven't had the time to blog since I started a grad program. While I do cook less, I keep finding new ways to tempt pallets. As inspired by Rachel Ray, here's my terrine. What's a Terrine? I used to think it was a big, fancy-dan soup serving bowl. As it turns out, it's also layers of veggies and some kind of meat held together by doctored-up cream cheese, chilled at least an hour. Slice it and serve on top of dense pumpernickel bread. Or toasted bagels if you are Rachel.

 Ingredients
6 slices of dense pumpernickel bread
1 lb sliced oven roasted turkey breast (or mix it up with half roast beef)
2 large tomatoes, sliced as thin as possible while keeping your fingertips in tact
1 cucumber, sliced as thin as possible
1 small red onion or 2 shallots, sliced as thin as possible
1 - 1 1/4 lb whipped cream cheese, softened
4 large radishes, sliced into matchsticks
2 large or 3 small scallions, chopped (whites and greens)
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
Salt to taste
Spring form pan
Medium bowl and spatula
Plastic wrap

I like to set everything out first.



1. Line the inside of the pan with enough plastic wrap to wrap over the terrine and completely cover it. Layer in the meat in tight circles, covering the entire bottom.


2. Do the same thing with the tomatoes, onions and cucumbers. Add salt to taste.












3. In the medium bowl, mix cream cheese with radishes, scallions and celery. Spread this mixture evenly over the other layers.


4. Fold the plastic wrap over the top and chill for at least 1 hour. (I chill at least 2-3 hours)




5. Unfold the top layer of plastic wrap, place a plate on the top and flip over. Then remove the spring form and the plastic. Your terrine is now ready to serve. I like to slice in pie-shaped wedges.



This will serve 4 comfortably, keeps refrigerated for 3 days. Makes a great appetizer or lazy dinner when it's too hot to move. It takes about 45 minutes of prep if you stop to see what's happening on HGTV here and there.

Spot gave this 1 star because she only likes the cream cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment