My Chronicle

Attainable goals are the ones for me. Encouraged by our dog Spot and family eaters, I purpose to cook once a week and make it new and delicious. If I cook more often, I get more weeks off later on.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Beer Cheese Soup


Yesterday, I had my very first Beer Cheese Soup at a local eatery (I'm a late bloomer... just started watching Seinfeld, too). It was sooooo good I asked for more "to go" so that I could share this yum with "my boys" at home. It was so good I stubbornly decided to try and make it today in honor of our 90 degree weather. After spending time online looking for a recipe to base my experiment on, I found the perfect beginning. My audience tonight: 4 boys (3 teens plus hubby). Results: Victory!! (Why do I keep learning to make things so good at home we do not have a reason to go out?) :)

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 cup white onion
3/4 cup celery
1 cup carrots
3 bottles pale ale beer (minus 1 sip)
7 cups hearty chicken stock (I used 1 Knorr Chicken Stock gel cube + 2 cups water and 1 carton chicken stock)
3 TBSP Dry Mustard
2+ TBSP Kosher salt (or more to taste)
8+ cloves minced garlic
3/4 cup butter
2 cups flour
2 pounds sharp cheddar cheese + 1 cup
1+ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
4 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
1-2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil

Using a food processor, puree onion, celery, garlic and carrots in separate batches. Place all of these guys in a large stock pot and saute over medium-low heat with extra virgin olive oil. Slowly whisk in flour, then butter and fully cook. Gradually whisk in the chicken stock(s) and beers. Bring to a boil. Over medium heat add the cheeses and mix until smooth. Then add the cream, mustard and salt, combine well and heat through on a lower temperature. If not zippy enough, just add a dash more kosher salt.

In all the excitement, we forgot to top off with croutons. This would be great with a green leafy salad and bruschetta, but c'mon, it's our first try...

This makes a ton of soup! All the boys had seconds or thirds. I am glad for all the leftovers we will enjoy this week. If I was having a large group over, this would serve everyone a cup along with a brat and salad.

Start-to-finish time when I could sit down and crochet, about an hour. So, for an easy prep I've made something yummy good for several days. Not bad for a first try. :)


Spot was too busy enjoying another bone from last night's feast to care about this delight. Sometimes, Spot is just plain wrong.



1 comment: