My Chronicle

Attainable goals are the ones for me. Encouraged by our dog Spot and family eaters, I purpose to cook once a week and make it new and delicious. If I cook more often, I get more weeks off later on.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Get Your Salad Freak On Part 1


I'm on a salad binge and morphed this one from The Chew's Brown Derby recipe. Since I saw this, we've had this many times... confirming my new salad freak. Just in time for summer...

INGREDIENTS
2 heads of red leaf lettuce
1 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
juice from 1 fresh lemon
1 1/2 + sea salt
1/2 + freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp thick Worcestershire sauce

LATER
1 1/3 cups extra virgin olive oil

WHAT TO DO
An hour before you want to nosh, prepare this lovely dressing. Using a (clean and empty) spaghetti-sauce sized jar, add the diced garlic. Then add the red wine vinegar, sugar, lemon, salt, pepper and W sauce. Shake well. Then add the extra virgin olive oil. Shake again and chill. When you serve - shake, shake, shake. This dressing will keep for 12 days in the fridge. Not so true for us. We drank it fast!

SERVING IDEAS
We like it over red-tipped lettuce with either parmesan or blue cheese and croutons. Tonite we used our George Foreman indoor grill to cook up some chicken tenders on sale. The boys diced those up and added them to their salads.

The original recipe calls for iceberg and romaine and cherry tomatoes. This is on the "try it" list, but next I will try making my own croutons out of dry deli bread.

Spot? She's her own freak... thinking blue cheese is safe for babies or doggies

No comments:

Post a Comment