My Chronicle

Attainable goals are the ones for me. Encouraged by our dog Spot and family eaters, I purpose to cook once a week and make it new and delicious. If I cook more often, I get more weeks off later on.

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Lemony Chicken Piccata


Five years ago, I picked up Rachel Ray's magazine for the first time. Much to my delight, there were recipes everywhere I looked and even a section for meals in under 30 minutes. That is where I found the inspiration for this recipe. Even though it took me twice as long, each minute was well worth the final taste. Over the past five years, this has been my signature dish. As I continue to add more recipes to my repertoire, this beloved one has fallen to the back burner. R-R-R. The other day I thought I should make this again and much to my surprise, found I had not put it on the blog. This recipe is the beginning of me really trying to cook. Thank you, Rachel Ray. And thank you, parmesan cheese. I sure love to cook and this one started it all.

Serves 6 and great for company

INGREDIENTS
6 chicken breasts, flattened to 1/2"
3 eggs, whisked and placed in a gallon plastic zip bag or pie plate if you don't like to litter
3/4 cup flour & 1/4 cup Wondra, placed in another gallon zip bag with Kosher salt and pepper to taste
12 oz shredded parmesan cheese & 6 oz shredded 5 cheese combo in another gallon zip bag
3/4 box angel hair pasta, cooked al dente and set aside
10 oz fresh spinach
6 cloves garlic, minced
Extra virgin olive oil
4 TBSP unsalted butter, cold
1 cup flat leaf (Italian) parsley, rough chopped
1 cup dry white wine
3 lemons, sliced
6 more oz. parmesan cheese
1/4 - 1/3 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
Sea Salt
Ground pepper

STEPS
1. Dip each breast in flour, then egg mixture. Then dip breasts in the zip bag with the cheeses. Press cheese firmly into each breast. Stack beasts on plate until all breasts are ready to cook.
2. Heat large skillet on medium high with enough extra virgin olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When heated, cook the breasts in two batches. 5 minutes each side until golden brown. To be sure the chicken isn't pink, cut each breast in half while cooking the second side. Remove cooked breasts to platter and cover with foil.
3. While breasts are cooking, heat water in large pot and cook angel hair al dente. Drain and set aside, cover to keep warm.
4. After all breasts have cooked, add more olive oil to skillet if necessary and then add the garlic and lemon slices. Cook 3 minutes, turning lemons once. Whisk in wine and parsley. Lower heat and cook til reduced, another couple of minutes.
5. Stir in 1 cup of chicken broth and butter, cook til butter melts (3 more minutes). Add the lemon juice and briefly heat. Generously spoon this over each breast on platter and recover/
6. Add spinach to skillet mixture 5 oz at a time and cook til wilted. Add the remaining chicken broth. Stir in the drained pasta and toss to coat, season with salt and pepper. Then add the last parmesan cheese and toss again.
7. Serve! Scoop the pasta on your plate, top with a breast and enjoy.

4 paws. Spot didn't even move as I fell over her. How a 10 lb dog can become an anchor is beyond me. "The Posse" (teen guy eaters) was here tonite and loved it. The hour in the kitchen was worth the taste, and my Hubby even flattened the breasts. Definitely a family fav!

No comments:

Post a Comment