My Chronicle

Attainable goals are the ones for me. Encouraged by our dog Spot and family eaters, I purpose to cook once a week and make it new and delicious. If I cook more often, I get more weeks off later on.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Sloppy Joe Boats



I got inspired to create this recipe while watching my friends on The Chew earlier this week. They were putting something in scooped out baked potos for a Super Bowl dish, and I thought 'hey. why not do this with sloppy joe stuffing?' Here it is and yes, it was a hit with my home team.

INGREDIENTS
9 baker potatoes, baked at 395 for an hour
1 # 85/15 ground beef, browned
1 cup ketchup
1/3  to 1/2 cup canned, seasoned diced tomatoes with their juice
2 TBSP brown sugar
3 tsp dry mustard
3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp sea salt
4 green onions, sliced thin - both white and green parts - just chop off ends
1/3 - 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

STEPS
1. Get potos baking. When they are half-way done, brown your meat.
2. I browned our meat in the cast iron skillet used earlier in the day (when I made Sirloin Hollandaise Egg Brunch to brown the sirloin). The seasonings in the skillet were great to mix in with the meat.
3. As the beef browns, combine the sugar, mustard, W sauce, powders and salt with the ketchup and diced tomatoes. After the beef browns, add this mixture and combine well. Stir in green onions.
4. Once potos are baked, remove from oven, slice in half lengthwise and cool about 10 minutes. Place on a jelly roll pan lined with Parchment paper. Scoop out the insides of the potatoes and save to make mashed potatoes tomorrow.
5. Fill each potato with 2+ packed TBSPs of the meat mixture (use it all up) and return to 350 degree oven for 5 minutes to heat through. Turn off oven. Top each tater with a large pinch of cheddar cheese and place in oven for 7 more minutes to gently melt the cheese using the still-warm oven.

This is a fun alternative to hamburger buns and healthy, too. Great game day finger food or party appetizer. Spot gives this 3 paws and my guys give it a 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment