My Chronicle

Attainable goals are the ones for me. Encouraged by our dog Spot and family eaters, I purpose to cook once a week and make it new and delicious. If I cook more often, I get more weeks off later on.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Life Changing Gravy (and Chicken)

Last night in honor of our son's birthday, I made our favorite new creation: Life Changing Gravy...And Chicken. Let me tell you how proud I am to have created this one! Until a month ago, I had never, ever, ever cooked a whole chicken. (I have also never had a soda, but that is another story.) Wow has the world ever opened up to me! I took some ideas from friends and created a monster, in a chickeny good way.


Prep Time: 20 +Min.
Marinade Time: 24 hours
Cook Time: 90 min.
Serves 6


GRAVY:
Using medium saucepan on medium heat, whisk 3 TBSP Unsalted butter with 1-2 TBSP Wondra til thick. Sprinkle in more Wondra as needed. Let boil briefly, then slowly add ¾ cup white wine. Whisk til smooth. Then slowly add 1 ¼ - 1 ½ cups heavy cream. Bring to boil. Add 2 TBSP fresh parsley and enough Kitchen Bouquet to turn mixture a light tan. Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste. Boil briefly again, then cover and simmer til thickened… about 15 minutes.


SERVE WITH WHITE RICE MADE WITH CHICKEN BROTH AND THIS CHICKEN:
Marinate 1 whole chicken (minus guts) in a Ziploc with 1/3 bottle Newman’s Olive Oil and Vinegar salad dressing, turning several times in a 24-hour period.

Place chicken in small roasting pan, stuff with one sliced lemon. Insert enough Boursin Cheese and garlic mix between skin and body – approx. 6 TBSP. Cover with sprinkled Kosher salt, ground pepper and Paprika individually applied. Then drizzle generously with refrigerated Lemon juice. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley. Tent and bake at 380 for one hour. Uncover, take temp, and cook uncovered the rest of the time until done, when instant thermometer reads 170.


COOKING ORDER:
• Chicken in and cooking 60 minutes
• Prep gravy after 1 hour
• Start gravy after 1:20
• Start rice at same time
• Everything is done after @90 minutes


DELICOUS, and leftovers remain moist. We also add a green veggie and/or salad. With our yummy rice, this creamy wonder is our newest hit. For Christmas we usually repeat our Thanksgiving feast, but this year we are going to reprise this meal.


Spot gives this a 4 paw rating.

1 comment: